Tips and Tricks

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Roasted Garlic, Pumpkin, Leek Soup


This recipe does not have to be as time consuming for you as it was for me. I had two sugar pie pumpkins that I needed to use, so I roasted them for this recipe.

Just slice in half, scrape out the seeds, and roast face down on a coconut oil greased cookie sheet for 35 minutes at 400 degrees. 

For the soup, you will need:
2 cups of pumpkin purée 
1 head of garlic 
2 stalks leek 
2 cups of chicken broth (I used homemade bone broth)
1/2 cup of coconut milk (or heavy cream if you are ok with dairy)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp ginger (optional)
2 Tbsp grass fed butter (optional, but recommended)

Start by roasting the garlic (cut off the top, peel away the outside and drizzle coconut oil on top. Roast at 350 for 35 minutes. You can do this along with your pumpkins if you choose to roast your own). 

Chop off the dark green part of the leek, slice in half lengthwise and wash off ALL that dirt. Roughly chop. 

In a pot, stir fry the leeks with some coconut oil for about 5 minutes. 

Reduce the heat to medium and add in the puréed pumpkin, roasted garlic, and 1 cup of broth. Mix until smooth using an immersion blender. (Unfortunately I don't have one, so I used a regular blender).

Add in the rest of the broth, the butter, and the milk until you reach a consistency that you like. Season with cayenne pepper, ginger, salt, and pepper. Top with BACON :)

The next morning, I had this for breakfast (too bad I had already eaten all my bacon...) but added in more amazing bone broth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment